Nature Camp Internship
High School Internship Opportunity
Interning in high school is a fantastic way to get real world experience before heading off to college. Interns who join the Highlands Center’s Nature Camp Internship program will develop leadership skills and gain volunteer experience that encourage career choices in elementary education, nature interpretation, or natural resource management.
Nature Camp Interns start the season as volunteers working with family programming, lesson planning, and material development. Through training and real-life experiences interns gain skills with peers and youth through explorations and investigations of our 80 acre site. Through the Summer Nature Camps interns develop knowledge of Natural History and begin to interpret the natural world alongside trained professionals.
- Students ages 15-17 from the Quad-City area who have experience or passion for exploring, learning, and teaching.
- Generate hands-on experience leading youth group adventures in the national forest
- Develop leadership skills and gain volunteer experience that encourages career choices in elementary education, nature interpretation, or natural resource management.
- Explore, investigate, and begin to interpret the natural world alongside trained professionals.
- Begin to develop their understanding of the ecology, natural and cultural history of the Arizona Highlands.
- Generate the ability to communicate their knowledge developed to youth within our community.
Highlands Center for Natural History
- Develop leadership and communication skills.
- Learn local natural history and its applications in field science.
- Generate and enhance real-world work skills for your future.
- Become certified in CPR and First AID
Applicants to the Internship Program need:
- To have an interest in assisting in the generation of awareness and wonder of science and nature for their peers and local youth.
- Complete 15-20 hours of program volunteer service alongside Highlands Center Program Staff from September through April.
- Attend training in late May (dates will be set based upon Intern availability)
- Assist Highlands Center Program Staff with at least two weeks of the Summer Camps during the months of June and July.
Handbook and Application
For full description on the internship download the Handbook. Ready to apply? Download the application!
For additional questions on please call 928.776.9550